Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Bread of Life

He told them still another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into a large amount of flour until it worked all through the dough." Matt 13:33 NIV.

I went through a difficult time a few months after graduating college. My pastor and I weren’t getting along; I was applying for jobs and not having any success. Feeling stagnant in my faith led to thoughts of walking away from God and wondering if He was doing anything in my life. His lack of involvement dominated my thoughts in all I was doing. The only thing I felt I had done was move out on my own, and build relationships with my neighbors. But I was struggling to see the significance of that.

With no job and nothing but time on my hands, I decided to plan a vacation. Shortly after that, phone calls emails and requests for a “safe journey” or a “we’ll miss you” visit started to flood my mail boxes and plug up my phone line. It was my neighbors wishing me a safe and fun time. During these visits, they took this time to tell me, in their own ways, how I’ve blessed their lives and how I may be gone but not forgotten.

Rick McKinley says a situation like this is the kingdom of God like yeast in our lives. “Invisibly, silently, seemingly without power, seemingly absent, the presence of the kingdom is spreading through the flour until the flour becomes bread. But the miracle of the yeast is God’s work, not yours or mine.”

Unbeknownst to me God was at work in my life doing things behind the scenes that only He can do. So even though I didn’t see it at the time I now praise Him for the ways He’s used me to represent His Kingdom.

How is God using you for His kingdom?

No comments:

Post a Comment