Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Reflections On Scripture

Ever wonder what it would be like to live the bible? By that I mean have you ever wondered what it would have been like to actually be one of the characters in the bible. This happened to me recently. A number of weeks ago, I was reading the book of Job while working on one of my devotionals and I came across this:

Do you know how God controls the storm
and causes the lightning to flash from his clouds?
Do you understand how he moves the clouds
with wonderful perfection and skill?
JOB 37:15-16

After reading the questions I immediately thought, “Yes I do! I can explain what causes lightning! I learned that in science class. It has to do with the build up of positive and negative charges in the air during a thunder storm. The electrical potential, between these positive and negative charges eventually grows strong enough to overcome the air's resistance to electrical flow. Racing toward each other, the charges connect, completing an electrical circuit, and discharging the accumulated electricity as lightning."

I would continue by saying, "As far as the clouds go God, I can appeal yet again to science. Science tells me that clouds are formed when water vapor in the air is cooled and condenses as part of the water cycle. Clouds consist of billions of tiny water droplets (and even ice crystals) floating in the sky and appear in a variety of shapes and sizes depending on how and where they formed. Clouds are moved along by wind, which is caused by a process of air cooling and heating.”

Now I’m not about to launch into some long drawn out debate over the existence of God, nor am I here to “convert” you. To that effect I will simply say I unequivocally believe God exists, know He is a significant part of my life, and wants to be a significant part of your life too. But that’s a decision you need to make. I also believe if you’re reading this, your old enough or at least have the maturity to come to your own conclusion about whom, or what God is.

Anyways, I’m getting off topic…

After launching into these thoughts regarding lightning and the formation of clouds, I imagined myself in Job’s shoes and wondered what my buddies response would be if I shot back with that comment… would it change the following remarks in the Old Testament wisdom/poetic work? What about God’s response to Job in chapter 38 and following… would it be the same or different, complimenting Job’s knowledge of cloud formations and flashes of lightning?

No comments:

Post a Comment