Pages

Saturday, April 24, 2010

A Word About Salt

Jesus once said that we are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men This verse is often preached on by pastors and it’s usually coupled with the following verses talking about light. (Matt 5:13-16)

Over the years I’ve heard preachers say that salt is used as a metaphor for the people of the church. Depending on the preacher, the people in the church represent a myriad of things in reference to salt. Some say salt was used as a substitute to the refrigerator, as salt acts as a preservative, and coincidently God’s people are to act as a preservative “for the Lord” … what that looks like I’m not sure, (but if you’d like to discuss the possibilities of what “preserving things for the Lord” looks like, I’m more then willing to do so). Then there are others who (I’m guessing here) – like to cook – and talk about how salt is used in cooking as a flavor additive, then launch into ways on how the church ought to be a flavor additive in their lives, influencing the people around them etc etc,



Being an aspiring chef (among other things), and knowing a thing or two about cooking, I’d like to challenge the adding flavor metaphor. Occasionally I get creative and experiment with new dishes, or I take an old favorite and change some of the ingredients giving it a different flavor. I’ve found there’s a few times I experiment and I add too much salt. To counterbalance some of the saltiness in my dish, I add sugar. And it works =) I’m no scientist so I can’t explain what happens when I add sugar to it, nor am I a professionally trained chef (I’m just another Rachael Ray lol) I just know it works.



With that said, my question is this: If the church is to be a flavor additive, adding a little metaphorical salt to those around us… what should/could be done when someone opposing our beliefs comes along, adding some sugar and cancelling the flavor we – as salt – have added to the dish? Hmmmmm …......

No comments:

Post a Comment